ZTrak™ Mower with 42-in. Deck - Z315E Back
Manufacturer’s suggested price does not include taxes, freight, setup, delivery, and optional accessories or attachments. Model and equipment availability vary by dealer and region, and not all products, options, and accessories are available in all regions. See Dealer for availability, details, and final price.
- Mow up to 2 acres
- 20 HP* (14.9 kW) V-Twin engine
- 42-in. (107 cm) Accel Deep™ Mower Deck
- Maximum forward speed 7 mph (11.2 km/h) with 3-gal. (13.6-litre) fuel tank
- 3-year/200-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty**
A 20-hp (14.9-kW) V-twin engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Full-pressure lubrication and cast-iron sleeves to extend engine life
- Engine model 40EXi
- Rear engine guard to protects the engine from damage
Simplify maintenance with oil-drain tube and easy-to-access air, fuel, and oil filters. Oil drain tube can be opened without tools and used to direct the used oil into a catch pan.
The 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass:
- 4.97-in. (12.6-cm) deep throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and versatility
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow the mower to be set at the desired cut height
- Compatible with efficient 6.5-bu (230-L) two-bag cut-and-throw material collection system
Excellent cut quality
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Productivity - gets the job done fast
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves the mower's capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- Cut-and-throw chute has a large, optimized inlet which aids in collecting material by using airflow from the large deck opening
Cleanliness - for the mower and the operator
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on the top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without build-up of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove build-up of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep Mower Deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even flow of material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
The MulchControl system for the 42A Mower Deck is an optional field-installed attachment and makes mulching practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching, but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Superior durability is designed in
The 42A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 42A has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 42-in. (107-cm) Mower Deck that it replaces.
Mower wheels are double captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on the engines lower bearing and mower deck bearings for longer life.
Rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Versatility - easy to change between side discharge, mulch, and bagging modes
The 42A Mower Deck is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With the optional MulchControl system installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
- The cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with MulchControl installed by removing the rear MulchControl baffle (A) before installing the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
How MulchControl works
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, most of the material passes through the discharge opening.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, the material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
6.5-bu (230-L) rear bagger
An optional 6.5-bu (230-L) cut-and-throw rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available for use with the 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves.
The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 6.5-bu (230-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach lower chute
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch™ mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
High-lift bagging blades are included with the chute. They provide optimum performance when bagging in difficult conditions, such as when the grass is moist, dense, or long:
- High-lift bagging blades also work well when side discharging material.
Mulching blades are included with the MulchControl attachment. They can be used for mulching, side discharging, and bagging in most conditions.
Mower blade use chart
|Mode(s) of operation||Mower blade|
|Side discharging mode only||Side-discharge blade (shipped with mower)|
|Bagging mode only||Bagging blade (shipped with rear bagger chute)|
|Mulching mode only||Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)|
|Side discharge and mulching||Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)|
|Side discharge and bagging||Bagging blade (shipped with rear bagger chute)|
|Side discharge, mulching, and bagging||Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)|
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience when operating all controls:
Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
Controls are color coded for easy identification.
Translucent fuel tank displays fuel level.
Twin-lever controls adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
A shock absorber dampens motion control lever movement to give smooth operation.
The E-Series mowers have a cut-and-sewn seat with:
- 18-in. (46-cm) of height
- Thick foam to soften bumps
- Side-bolstering to stabilize the operator on uneven terrain
- Embroidered John Deere logo
- Optional armrests
Two steel coil suspension springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride. The seat fore-aft position can also be changed without tools.
Cup holder and storage compartments
The cup holder is designed to hold common cup sizes securely.
A storage compartment provides a place for the operator to keep safety equipment, a cell phone, etc.
Operator foot platform
Large foot platform helps the operator remain comfortable and secure:
- Volcano grips give a secure grip.
- Raised footrests at the front of the platform provide a comfortable area for the operator's feet.
- An attractive floor mat is optional on E-Series models.
A convenient service interval decal provides basic maintenance information. It provides a quick reference for keeping recommended service up to date.
Quick response (QR) codes link to owner information web pages
John Deere riding lawn mowers are supported by owner information web pages that include links to:
- Safety and how-to videos
- Operator’s manuals
- Parts catalog
- Maintenance reminder sheets
- Warranty statements
To speed access to owner information web pages, a QR code is printed onto a PIN label located under the seat on the battery cover. Since each vehicle model has its own web page, the links are specific to the owner’s model. The QR code also includes the vehicle’s unique PIN which allows for additional customization of the owner information web page in the future.
Mower deck access
The footrest area is hinged and easily raised for service to mower deck:
- No tools are needed to lift footrest
- Easy to clean grass off the top of the mower
- Provides convenient access to the mower drive
The engines are easy to service, including changing the oil and the oil filter and servicing the air filter.
Accel Deep Mower Decks have several features that make them easy to service:
- Flat-top design minimizes places for debris to collect.
- Spring-loaded, flip-up belt guards make removing debris easy.
- Provision is provided for a standard, 3/8-in. (9.5-mm) ratchet wrench to be used for releasing belt tension when removing the drive belt.
Tie-down locations are provided for convenience and safety when trailering the machine.
Limited bumper-to-bumper warranty for new turf and utility equipment (U.S. and Canada only):
- 36 months or 200 hours, whichever comes first
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to three different height settings and eleven different fore-aft settings:
- Increased operator comfort
- Adjustable for more precise control of the machine
A standard shock absorber for the motion-control levers makes maneuvering ZTrak™ Mowers easy and comfortable:
- Shock absorber modulates the movement of control levers for smoother operation.
- Operator can smoothly and precisely control the machine.
On-board tracking adjustment from the operator seat is quick and easy. The included 13-mm wrench is used for adjusting tracking and the motion-control lever position.
The operator control panel is conveniently located and easy to use. The following instruments and controls are included:
- Hour meter
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control
- Engine speed/choke control
- A choke position is built into the engine speed control (E-Series models).
- A separate choke lever is used (M- and R- Series models).
Automatic Park brake
The integrated park brake is automatically applied when steering levers are stowed outward and disengaged when motion control levers are placed into operating position.
Mower deck lift/cut-height adjustment
- Easily lift the mower deck using the foot lift pedal.
- A cut-height preset ensures the deck returns to the correct position.
- Mower deck cutting height adjusts from 1.25 to 4.5 in. (3 to 11 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance.
The foot-lift pedal also provides a convenient way to temporarily raise the mower deck over an obstruction while mowing.
Heavy-duty PTO clutch
A heavy-duty electric PTO clutch is controlled by a convenient, dash-mounted control. The PTO clutch is designed to operate through many on/off cycles.
Steering is easy with large front caster wheels
Motion-control levers are designed for comfortable and easy operation.
A shock absorber is included to dampen the movement of the control levers so any operator can make smooth, controlled turns.
Pneumatic caster wheels give a smoother ride and easier steering:
- Large 11x6-5 front caster wheels provide extra ride comfort and better steering control.
- Caster wheels have sealed bearings for long life and easy steering.
- Seat interlock switch disengages the mower when the operator leaves the seat.
- Engine will stall if the operator leaves the seat without the motion-control levers in the outward position and the park brake set.
Controls are designed to promote safe operation
- Motion-control levers must be in the outward position for the engine to crank.
Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights
LED lighting provides additional lighting when needed.
- Forward LEDs light the front of vehicle, mid LEDs illuminate the front and side of the mower deck
- Standard R-Series model, optional on E- and M-Series models
- E- and M-Series models include wiring to speed installation
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability. Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
- Smoother ride
- Better slope performance
- More operator comfort over uneven ground
- Better traction
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
Styling is both functional and attractive
The styling of ZTrak Mowers is functional and attractive to appeal to residential owners who value product appearance and the easy, comfortable operation that comes with thoughtful control designs:
Color-coded controls are not only attractive, but easy to find and use.
Large foot platform, surrounded by frame rails, has a safe and inviting appearance and provides easy access for the operator.
Contoured shape of the fenders provides improved visibility to the drive tires, minimizes storage space required, and adds to the stylish appearance of the vehicle.
Heavy-duty welded steel frame for reliability and long life
The ZTrak Mower frame is constructed of heavy-duty steel tubing for long-term durability:
- 2.5-in. x 2-in. (6-cm x 5-cm) steel tubing in front
- 1.5-in. x 2-in. (4-cm x 5-cm) steel tubing on sides
A front bumper protects the front of the mower from damage
- Standard M- and R-Series models, optional on E-Series models
A rear hitch provides towing capability:
- Pull a trailer up to 113 kg (250 lb.) of weight
- Bolts to tubular frame for solid support
- Standard on M- and R-Series models, and optional on E-Series models
Dual transmissions efficiently power the ZTrak™ mower forward and reverse and give steering capability:
- Transmissions are set low in the vehicle for excellent hillside stability.
Hydro-Gear® transmissions are reliable and durable.
- Beefed-up 1-in. (2.5-cm) axles for greater strength
- Maintenance-free unitized transmissions are sealed and have no hose connections to leak hydraulic fluid.
Four-bolt hubs provide a reliable and convenient wheel-mounting system.
Tow-valve controls are provided for each transmission and located above the vehicle frame on either side of the engine:
- Easy to reach and use
- Allow the vehicle to be moved without the engine running
Hydro-Gear is a trademark of Hydro-Gear Limited Partnership AF Holding Company, a Delaware Corporation and Danfoss Power Solutions (US) Company, a Delaware Corporation.
The fuel tank holds 3 U.S. gal. (11 L) of fuel. It is located low on the left side of the machine:
- Fuel-fill opening is located low and angled for easy refueling.
- Large, 2-in. (5.1-cm) fuel-fill opening reduces the chance of spilling when adding fuel.
- Cap is tethered to the fuel tank to prevent the fuel cap from getting misplaced.
Translucent fuel tank displays fuel level.
Keep a mower running its best and know how it mows with the John Deere MowerPlus app. Simply scan the mower’s barcode to get custom information about the mower.
- Engine hours, fuel level, and battery health (as compatible)
- Mowing history with time, distance, area, and speed
- Current day and five-day weather forecast based on location
- Walk-through setup guides
- Expert mowing tips
- Useful attachments for future purchase
- Periodic maintenance reminders
- Safety instructions
To download the free MowerPlus app, visit the Apple® App Store® or Google Play™ store.
MowerPlus connectors (sold separately)
Three MowerPlus connectors are available to transmit vehicle information to the MowerPlus app.
BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2003 to 2020 100 Series Tractors, including all models with an E, D, LA, or L prefix
- Model year 2015 to 2020 S240 Tractors (serial number -880,000)
- S100, S110, S140, and S220 Tractors
BUC10929 MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector is for use with:
- All S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180 Tractors
- Model year 2021 and newer S240 Tractors (serial number 880,001-)
- Model year 2021 and newer Z515E, Z530M, Z530R, and Z545R (serial number 010,001-)
BUC10537 MowerPlus Smart Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2016 and newer Select Series X300 and X500 Tractors
All the MowerPlus connectors transmit engine hour information to the app, making it easy to track maintenance intervals. The MowerPlus Smart Connector and MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector also transmit the fuel level.
MowerPlus connectors require the MowerPlus app on a mobile device to use. The John Deere MowerPlus app and operating system requirements can be found in the mobile device’s app store. The MowerPlus app is only available in the English language, and it is not available in all countries. BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector requires iOS® version 10 or higher and is not compatible with Android™ operating systems.
Apple and App Store are trademarks of Apple, Inc. Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google LLC. iOS is a trademark of Cisco Technology, Inc. used under license by Apple Inc.